After a few projects of dealing with data tables, and being sick of complex implementations of sorting and filtering from the backend, I decided that I would do filtering from the front end.
My first instinct was to look for a library, hopefully a jQuery plugin, to handle this for me. After a first look, I found none of the table sort/filter solutions where what I needed. They either only did sort, only did filter, or did both but required you to use their own style. I wanted a plugin, I could just throw at a table, and it works, without heavily modifying the look of the table. So after a few hours of coming up short, I decided to take my first crack at writing a jquery plugin.
I then moved on to building it into a jquery library. There are many guides out there, but most of them are for contextual extensions of jquery objects. After finding out I was looking in the wrong place, I managed to get my first jquery plugin working. I then spent a few hours settings up the github repository and writing documentation for it. Now I officially have contributed to open source software!